With discussion underway to loosen the restriction on the ownership of cats in Housing Board flats, it is expected that there will be an increase in pet cat population. There are approximately 1.2 million HDB dwelling units in the country that house 80% of the population. Most of these units could potentially house a new or additional pet cat if the rule changes in their favor. Research firm Euromonitor believes that by 2025, there will be more cats (1.3 million) than dogs (465,000) in Singapore.
This development will translate into an increasing demand for products and services relating to pet cats, including professional cat grooming services. Our Professional Cat Grooming Course aims to equip you with a strong foundation in professional cat grooming to launch your career as a professional cat grooming specialist. At The Pets Workshop Academy, you will build a strong foundation in your knowledge about pet care and pet grooming skills with a focus on cats. You will pick up soft skills including the forging of a strong and trusting relationship with cats and efficient communication skills with customers. Graduates from our Academy will not only be technically proficient in cat grooming, but will also have the necessary soft skills and exposure to hit the ground running when they embark on their careers as pet groomers.
Your progress in our Professional Cat Grooming Course will be closely monitored by our instructors. The course will be delivered in a series of modules to ensure that learning is structured and incremental. At the end of the course, you will be required to pass an examination conducted by our Academy in order to graduate. We are proud to let you know that The Pets Workshop is recognised by Mirchelley Muses as one of the top 5 cat grooming service providers in Singapore. You will not be learning from just any cat grooming establishment, but one that is at the peak of the industry.
Our Professional Cat Grooming Course comprises 10 lessons, and could be delivered on a full time or part time basis. This course will be suitable for any learner over the age of 18 and who has a love for animals. No prior grooming experience is required.
Please note that the duration of the course, the content and delivery may be finetuned from time to time. Please reach out to enquire about the course fees.
- Basic cat handling; Cat behaviour & temperament;
- Identification and handling of common health issues encountered during grooming
- Getting acquainted with feline anatomy
- Grooming tools and equipment appreciation
- Breed recognition
- Grooming safety rules and best practices
- Basic grooming knowledge regarding other common species encountered in a pet grooming salon setting
- Basic grooming 101, including nail clipping, ear cleaning, clipping of paw pads and sanitary area, basic clipping
- Bathing techniques
- Drying and brushing techniques
- Dematting and tangles removal; deshedding
- Basic scissoring techniques
- Further scissoring techniques
- Dummy practice
- Component practice
- Industrial attachment to The Pets Workshop outlets
- Participate in grooming of a cat and a rabbit / guinea pig (subject to availability)